Fraises à la Façon Bordelaise
For the wine:
- 3 leaves gelatin (½ envelope powdered), softened in cold water
- 2 cups (500ml) richly flavored red wine, such as a Bordeaux
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) floral honey, such as lavender
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the strawberries:
- 1 pound (500g) perfectly ripe strawberries
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- Put the gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water, to soften.
- Put the wine in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the honey, the cinnamon stick, and several grinds black pepper. Bring the wine to a boil over medium-high heat and boil until the wine is reduced by one-third. Remove from the heat.
- Squeeze the water from the gelatin leaves and whisk them into the wine, one by one.
- When the wine has cooled to room temperature, refrigerate.
- Cut the strawberries in quarters, lengthwise. Put them in a bowl, add the sugar and toss gently. Set aside.
- When the spiced wine is chilled and slightly gelled, remove the cinnamon stick and divide it among 6 glasses. Divide the strawberries among the 6 glasses, and top with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Garnish with a sprig of mint, and serve.