Here are my ten favorites, the tools that make my life in the kitchen easier and more efficient. I’ve got many more, which I will share with you here, and in my brand new book (out next spring!). These, though, will get you started towards an organized, efficient and esthetic kitchen!
1. Multiple mise-en-place dishes for holding measured ingredients. Some have covers for ingredients that might evaporate or dry out, like mustard or vinegars.
2. Kitchen twine, for trussing and just about everything else.
3. Wide vegetable peeler that fits well in the hand.
4. Silicon spatulas of every size.
5. Whisks…mostly balloon.
6. Oval measuring cups that fit in almost all containers.
7. Tiny copper casserole for melting small amounts of butter, chocolate, heating milk or cream.
8. Bird beak paring knife.
9. Lemon squeezer.
10. Plastic and metal scrapers that are useful for transporting ingredients, cleaning work surfaces, blending and mixing….