- 4 large or 8 small Belgian endives trimmed and cuthalf
- 1 clove garlic green germ removed, diced
- 1 bay leaf from the Laurus nobilis
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the endives, cut side down, in a large, heavy skillet. Strew the garlic over them, then season with salt and pepper. Pour the water around the endives.
Place the skillet over medium high heat, and when the water begins to steam, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the endives are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Check them after about 5 minutes and turn, then check again after a few minutes to turn again to the cut side.
When the endives are tender, remove the lid and continue cooking until the endives turn golden on the cut side, an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve, or serve immediately. These are delicious hot, or at room temperature.