Le Gateau au Chocolat de Mamie Jacqueline
As first seen on Cooking with Carol, in Arlington Texas, May 3, 2001.
¾ cup cake flour Sea salt
7 ounces bitter chocolate, such as Lindt 70%
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs, separated Confectioners’ sugar
- Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift the flour and a generous pinch of salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over medium-high heat. Transfer to a medium-size bowl and whisk in the butter until the mixture is smooth. Vigorously whisk in all but 1 tablespoon of the sugar, then add the egg yolks and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until combined.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are foamy and begin to thicken. Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and continue whisking until whites form soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then turn it into the prepared baking pan and bake in the center of the oven until the cake springs back, 20- 25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to lukewarm in the pan, then turn it out onto a rack to cool thoroughly. To serve, sprinkle cake with confectioners’ sugar.
6 to 8 servings