- 1-1/4 cups; 250g vanilla sugar
- ½ vanilla bean seeds removed
- 3/4 cup; 65ml filtered or bottled water
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh rhubarb peeled and cut into small dice (about 1/4-inch square), .75kg
- 1-1/2 cups; 375-430g to 1-3/4 fresh cheese or drained yogurt
- Fresh mint basil, or tarragon leaves – for garnish
Mix the sugar, the vanilla bean and seeds, and the water together in a large saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil gently, stirring often, until all the sugar dissolves. Fold the rhubarb into the boiling syrup. It will seem as though there is too much rhubarb for the amount of syrup, but continue folding it gently as it cooks, and you will see that the rhubarb will decrease in volume as it cooks and releases liquid into the syrup.
Cook the rhubarb just until it is tender, which will take 8 to 10 minutes, folding it almost
constantly until there is enough liquid so the rhubarb is fully covered, and checking frequently to be sure it doesn’t cook too long. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
To serve, divide the fromage blanc or yogurt among 6 dessert bowls. Pour equal amounts of rhubarb syrup over the yogurt. Garnish each bowl with an herb leaf, and serve immediately.