- 1 cup; about 160g cherries pitted, cut in quarters
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 large avocado, about 9 ounces; 280g pitted, skinned
- 1 small bunch chives
- 2 tablespoons best-quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon generousfreshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fleur de sel
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nut meats minced
- 4 chive blossoms
Place the cherries in a small, non-reactive bowl. Cover with the vinegar, toss so they are combined, then sprinkle with sugar and the salt. Toss until all is thoroughly blended, then reserve as you prepare the rest of the dish.
Cut the avocado into ¼-inch (.75cm) pieces.
Mince the chives and place them in a small bowl. Immediately cover them with the oil and mix together.
Reserve 12 avocado cubes. Evenly divide the remaining cubes among 4 wine or cocktail glasses. Drizzle each with about 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel and divide all but 1 scant teaspoon of the chive and oil blend, drizzling equal amounts over each glassful of avocado cubes.
Drain the cherries. Top the avocado cubes with equal amounts of cherries, turning some of the cherries so their bright skins show. Divide the remaining cubes of avocado atop the cherries. Drizzle with the remaining chive and olive oil, then sprinkle with equal amounts of pistachios. If you have a chive blossom, separate its individual blossoms and sprinkle a few over each glass. Serve immediately.