- 4 ounces; 120g smoked salmon lox style, preferably without nitrates,
- 1 teaspoon almond or extra-virgin olive oil
- One 2-inch; 5cm piece cucumber peeled, seeded, cut in tiny dice
- One 7-inch; 16.5cm stalk celery strings removed, cut in tiny dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill sprigs
- 1 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 4 small radicchio leaves washed, patted dry, cut in very thin strips (chiffonade)
- For the horseradish cream:
- ¼ generous cup;70ml non ultra-pasteurized heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons creamy style horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds lightly toasted
Slice the salmon, with the grain, into very thin (barely ¼-inch) thick slices. Place the salmon in a medium-sized bowl, Add the almond oil and toss. Add the cucumber, the celery, the dill, the almonds, and the radicchio leaves to the salmon and gently fold the ingredients together. Either refrigerate immediately, or evenly divide the salmon mixture among 6 wine glasses, or other small glass bowls or cups.
For the topping, place the cream in a large bowl and whisk it until it makes soft points. Whisk in the horseradish and the lemon juice. Whisk the cream again, if necessary, to return it to the soft point stage. Taste for seasoning. Evenly divide the cream mixture among the glasses, spooning it atop other salmon. Sprinkle each serving with an equal amount of the toasted almonds, and serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to one hour.