- 10 pounds fresh figs rinsed
- 1 lemon rinsed and cut in paper thin slices, seeds removed
- 2 ounces candied ginger cut in thin matchsticks
- 4 cups; 800g sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
1. Trim the stem end from each fig. Cut the figs in half if they are small, in quarters if they are large, and dice them if you prefer.
2. Place the figs and all the remaining ingredients in a very large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the figs and the sugar begin to melt together, and become liquid. Continue cooking the mixture at a rolling boil until it thickens and the figs turn a rather brownish color, which will take about 1 hour. which
3. Stir in the lemon juice and continue cooking, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. Then, place the jam in jars and seal according to the manufacturer's instructions.