Tarte Aux Navets à la Crème
One recipe for On Rue Tatin Pastry, or your favorite pâte brisée
2 pounds (1kg) turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Generous ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup (250ml) crème fraîche
1. Make the pastry and let it sit, at room temperature, for 1 hour.
2. Bring 3 cups water to a boil in the bottom half of a steamer. When the water is boiling, add the turnips to the steamer and steam until they are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the turnips to a cooling rack lined with a cotton towel, to absorb their humidity.
3. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
4. Roll out the pastry into a round until it is about 1/8-inch thick. Line a 10-1/2 inch (26.5cm), removable bottom tart tin, leaving the edges hanging over.
5. Arrange half the turnips in the tart tin. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and pour over half the cream. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Fold the pastry up and over the turnips. Set the tart tin on a baking sheet, and bake in the center of the oven until the pastry is golden and baked through, 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes, remove the outer ring of the tart tin, and serve.