- 5 good-sized leeks trimmed of all but 1-inch of their green leaves, well-rinsed, and diced
- 3 medium or 2 large starchy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 fresh or dried imported bay leaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
Place the leeks, potato and bay leaf in a medium-sized saucepan, and cover by 2-inches with filtered water. Place the pan over medium high heat and when the water is boiling, add a generous pinch of salt, reduce the heat so the water is simmering, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender and the leeks have lost some of their vivid green color, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, and remove the bay leaf. Puree the soup, using a wand blender. If it is too thick, stir in either water or cream, until the texture is what you like best.
To serve, divide the soup among four soup bowls. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fleur de sel, and make sure you've got bread on the table.