- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 30ml
- cup ½ water 125ml
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pounds white or green asparagus trimmed and peeled (if using white), 1kg
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Chive blossoms - optional garnish
Place the olive oil, the water, and the herbs in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add the asparagus. Turn the asparagus so it is coated with the oil and water mixture and when the water and oil come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook the asparagus until it is tender, turning it from time to time so that it cooks evenly and turns golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
When the asparagus is nearly tender through, remove the cover and cook it, shaking the pan and stirring it, until any liquid in the pan evaporates. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and transfer the asparagus to a serving dish. Garnish with the chive blossoms and serve immediately.